Tuesday 24 April 2012

OUGD404 Self Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

In this module I have learnt a lot, within the first half with all the workshops I have learnt so much more theory type work than ever before. The majority of knowledge I learnt was in the colour workshops with Fred. Before I thought I had an understanding of colour within RGD and CMYK, but when we had this workshop I gained so much more about it all. The Itten’s contrast we really interesting and something I never thought about or shown before, it did take me a while to understand each contrast to its full meaning but when I did the investigation into them with the pantone colours I think I got the grasp of them. Also learning about pantone colours was interesting too, using the pantone website to find the different colours is a really useful source which I was introduced to. Since having these colour workshops I do think I have used colour in better way, be it more daring or just using the right colours together and for the right purpose, it has defiantly been a big learning curve for me.
The other workshop I found useful was the anatomy of type. Before I came here I was really interested in type in college which I tried to experiment with and improve my own knowledge of this, but the majority of it was done by myself, so it was limited, this workshop built up on things I already knew and introduced lots more too. Breaking down a letterform to the different components was good to see and see how it differs between each font. Also being able to identify a font by a set questions using the website we were shown was a good resource for future work. I enjoyed this workshop lots and now I am focusing my design context work on type.
Another workshop, which was good fun, was the photography ones. Having the induction in the photography studios introduced me to using a camera in a different way to what I previously was. The camera we were using were different to mine but I was able to use the things we were shown to use with my own camera in a different way. It was very useful.

The second half of this module was the ‘what is a line’ brief. This brief has been my favourite so far and the one which I have learnt the most in the areas that I find the most interesting and where I like to work best. I enjoyed this module so much because it was pretty much down to us, we decided what we wanted to do and what the final outcomes were going to be, it was the most freedom we have had so far.
Within this brief I have learnt screen printing, my whole brief was based around printing techniques, I had to change this slightly because it was over Easter and workshops weren’t open, but I made use of what was and managed to spend a good amount of time in the screen printing rooms, I had done screen printing before but at my college we didn’t have the equipment here, so getting used to doing it this way was different but good. At the end of doing it I have produced three good quality screen prints which are multiple colour prints too. This for me was a good experience and something that I really enjoyed, defiantly an area I can see myself working in more and getting better and better at. Within this brief I designed a publication another area that is my favourite, I love editorial work, which I made good use of and produced probably one of the best publication I have so far. For this I experimented with different stock and binding technique, which was good, especially the binding techniques. Finding this new binding technique was really interesting for me, I have always just used saddle stitching, but this was different and gave everything a more hand made feel which I like. I also enjoyed putting the publication together more by doing this, it made me feel like I have actually made the whole thing from start to finish. Its defiantly a more rewarding technique to use.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Like I have said above within the second half of this module I have developed the process of screen-printing and booking binding. Which I have thoroughly enjoyed learning and putting in place these two techniques, so much so that I want to further explore these two areas and see what I can develop from this.

These two techniques have give this work I have produced a more hand crafted feel to it, its working away from the digital side of things and working more with materials and inks etc, which I love so much more. The outcomes of each design are down to you and the way in which you have produced it, the technique you use, but once it is done you can turn back on it. But I feel that the effects and outcome of each design within these processes cant be created the same in a digital way, you can do it but not in the same way or get the same contentment from it once you have produced the design.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
My strengths within this work was defiantly the editorial aspect to my brief. I really enjoy designing and making publication, so this worked in my favour. As I have spent a lot of time working within Indesign I feel confident with using the program and feel I can produce good work from this.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I don’t think that there is a particular weakness to the work I have produced. I think the weakness to the brief was what I intended to do, I set out to do a lot of printing techniques which take along time to produce, I don’t feel as though with the time we had to produce this and the other work we had at the same time I could of got all this work done. So maybe I was trying to do too much for myself or maybe the weakness was myself? If I had pushed myself I could of maybe got it all done, but I do still feel that I have pushed myself by taken on the new screen-printing and book techniques I have learnt and shown in the work I have done. So I would say that my weakness was my planning and not actually getting on straight away and doing it. I started strong on this brief getting my initial designs done and digitalising them, but other work came along and I pushed this to one side, so I need to learn to multitask amongst briefs and get my management of each day right. I would say that is my weakness.

There is always the element of experimenting more, I could of done this more within the designing stage of the designs, some of them work really well and other are a lot weaker, but together I think they are strong as a group of designs.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1. Planning – I could have planned my time more knowing that areas of the college were going to be closed over Easter and started to get the work done before Easter
2. Experimentation – Within the designs of each ‘life lesson’ I could have pushed the designs more.
3. Work outside of my comfort zone – Again I have produced an editorial product, which is something that I like a lot and believe I am good at, but I could have gone down a different line to push myself more.
4. Set myself a realistic goal from the beginning – From the beginning I didn’t set a realistic amount of work I could do within the time given.
5. Improve my drawing – I feel as though I can develop my work through using the design sheets I work with but the standard of my drawing capabilities shown on them isn’t good enough in my opinion.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 
5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance    5
Punctuality    5
Motivation    5
Commitment    5
Quantity of work produced   4
Quality of work produced     4
Contribution to group            5

No comments:

Post a Comment